2010년 10월 11일 월요일

Oct. 11

Facebook as a Social Networking System

Ideas for the topic
1.       How did it come up with the idea of online social networking?
2.       How did it attract so many users?
3.       What’s the difference between blog and Facebook?
4.       How is Facebook different compared to Korean online social networking system, Cyworld?
5.       How is Facebook different compared to Twitter?
6.      Not only does Facebook work as a communication channel between friends, but also between corporate organization and customer. Two-way communication, intimate relationship with customers
→ Is it also a new experience for a corporate organization? Then is corporate organization considered as a customer in this context?


Why is this topic interesting to you? (remember: This is a big goal for the assignment)

I used to live in Virginia for 1 and a half year. Then I went back to Korea when I became a middle school student. I wanted to keep in touch with the friends I made in Virginia. At first, we exchanged e-mails and sent some gifts to each other overseas. However, this hasn’t lasted so long because I changed my e-mail address and deleted their e-mail address by accident. I had no way to contact them anymore since I did not have such things as backup files of their e-mail address or anything. What made it worse was that my family had moved to a different city so there was no way of receiving the gifts my friends sent me overseas. I kept trying to reach contact with them but I just couldn’t. There was no way of getting in touch with them until I found out about this Facebook. Majority of my friends in Virginia were Korean with the US citizen. I tried to reach them with Cyworld, which is kind of Korean version of Facebook, but my friends never made an account. Cyworld was a social network system only people in Korea used. I also tried to use Twitter to find them but failed. Facebook was the only service that fulfilled my needs whereas other social networking systems couldn’t. Therefore, my experience with Facebook was very special to me in a sense that it made it possible for me to reach contact with my friends abroad, part of the reason why Facebook was an interesting topic to me.

What is the connection to the gathering and identification of customer insights and/or the design of valuable customer experiences? (at least, as you see it right now)

I did not quite understand the meaning of the question, but as far as I know, the connection between gathering and identification of customer insights and design of valuable customer experiences particularly in Facebook is quite close. Facebook has identified its customer group as high school students and college students. Therefore, Facebook provides a lot of features that are appreciated by high school and college students. When it comes to designing of valuable customer experiences, Facebook’s one of the most impressive feature, detailed self-profile information database where you can express yourself freely is being greatly appreciated by college students, the age group that is mostly open-minded and seeking for new relationships. The ability to upload unlimited number of pictures, and creation of album is also one of the factor that attracts many students. So design of valuable customer experiences in Facebook was created on the basis of gathering and identification of customer insights, therefore resulting in Facebook to provide several services that are differentiated from e-mails, and blogs. Clumsy analysis, but I do hope that I will find out more as I study and do a research about this specific topic.

Cite and briefly describe at least one article


Facebook – The complete biography

This article shows the brief history and the future of Facebook, concerns, surveys and studies done by various organizations regarding Facebook, comparison to other social networking systems such as MySpace, its differentiated features, and the reason why it is appreciated,

댓글 1개:

  1. Jun - I think this topic has some good potential. Just be sure that this is not just a "book report," which means that I want you to synthesize the information you find and provide your own thoughts, opinions, and critique to it. Also, you will need to be sure that you paper has a strong organization to it, which you can work in as you develop the outline (which is the next item that you will need to write for the paper). Regarding the differences between Facebook and all of the other sites (Twitter, blogs, Cyworld), be sure that this is not just a comparison of features, but that you really examine how & why users use each of them (i.e., the experiences of each and the insights associated with each). Let me know if any of this does not make sense.

    답글삭제